Bowl Turning pole lathe
Wed 26 Jun
This course is taught by Adrian Lloyd an experienced green woodworker and teacher.
You will be turning your bowl on an historic Viking style bowl lathe. There will be lots of time for you to develop and practise new skills and whilst the main focus of the workshop will be about process and safe technique, you should still look forward to producing your first bowl to take home with you at the end of the day. This will be a perfect sized bowl for you to eat your breakfast out of every morning, or your hot soup at lunch!
The workshop will focus specifically on the following areas:
• The different types of lathe used for turning
• Suitable British timbers for bowl turning
• Selecting appropriate sections of a log for bowl turning
• Roughing out a bowl ‘blank’ using an axe
• Safe and effective axe technique
• Mounting the blank on the lathe ready for turning
• Using home made hook tools to turn your first bowl
• Trimming up, drying and finishing your bowl
This tends to be quite a physically demanding workshop. There will be plenty of breaks and stops to talk about process and technique but a reasonable level of fitness is required to make sure you get the most out of the day.
Out of stock